Tuesday, December 19, 2017

The Feasts of December (2)

December 17

Dennis (l.) muscling in.
Note, we are both clutching books from earliest days


Among the Birthdays of December is that of Dennis Harry Flynn, brother of Michael Francis Flynn, who is the son of Joseph Francis Flynn, the son of Francis Thomas Flynn, the son of Daniel Joseph Flynn, the son of John Thomas Flynn, the son of Martin Flynn of Loughrea, Ireland in the County Galway, descended of the O'Flynns of the Sil Maelruain. He was born 362 days after TOF and with him in their storied youths wrote great SF classics in pencil in Spiral Notebooks, lavishly illustrated with colored Magic Markers, whose volatile organic vapors infected our brains.

Every year on 17 December, he would make much of being the same age as me. Then three days later, I would pull ahead once more. Had he lived, he would have just turned 69 a few days ago.

But I have written about this topic before, in fact earlier this year, and the story can be found here.

Dennis Harry Flynn, 1948-1964

3 comments:

  1. Wait...you are 70 years old? Really? I could have sworn from looking at your disqus profile picture that you were in your 40's rather than 70's!

    I guess some people really do like perpetually young..

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Look

    Meant look insteand of like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts about your brother helped me keep going when we lost my sister.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Wonder and Anticipation, the Likes of Which We Have Never Seen

  Hello family, friends and fans of Michael F. Flynn.   It is with sorrow and regret that I inform you that my father passed away yesterday,...